Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My first two days in The Big Apple!

The time has finally come- I am officially in New York City for the summer! Crazy how fast time flies!

Yesterday, my mom and I left via the Megabus in D.C. around 7:15 a.m. to head to the NYC! I slept most of the bus ride, and we arrived in New York at our scheduled time, 11:45 a.m.

Once we got there and got all of my luggage (I may have brought too much stuff- about 5 bags, woops!), our first task was trying to get a taxi! Very interesting to say the least. SO many taxis in New York, but not many that will stop (I'll get the hang of it eventually). After the taxi dropped us off at my NYU dorm, I got my temporary pass, and headed upstairs to my suite. Lets just say that a "suite" in New York housing is nothing compared to JMU suites. These dorm rooms are about the size of a jail cell- completely expected since I am in the city, but it makes me SO grateful for all of the wonderful housing offered at JMU! Before heading out to buy some things, we decided to grab food at this little bagel/pizza shop that is right outside of my dorm and got some decent pizza. I'm so happy that this place is here. It will be perfect to grab a bagel and some coffee at in the mornings. Afterwards, we headed over to a specific NYU building to pick up my NYU Summer pass. The line was about as long as the DMV....which we all know is hell. Luckily for me, I had submitted my picture ID online and after speaking up to the not-so-nice people working there, was able to skip all the mayhem and head right out, whew. Our next task was finding a store of some sort to buy groceries and other necessities- my dorm is seriously in the best location. I'm near everything I need. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is right down the street, as well as pharmacies and tons of restaurants and cute little shops. We spent the rest of the night getting everything together for my place and decided to test out the subway system to find the two locations for my internships in the morning.

Today, I met my mom downstairs around 9 a.m. and grabbed an everything bagel with cream cheese at the shop downstairs and headed to the subway station! Luckily, the station is not even a 5-minute walk. I head on to the 14th St. and Union Square, hop on the Q line, and take it only 1 stop for Likeable Media and 2 stops for MTV. How awesome is that?! Likeable Media is right by the Empire State Building and MTV is in the heart of Times Square! I couldn't be more excited. After figuring out the subway, my mom and I headed out for some amazing shopping :). We stopped for a late lunch at the world famous Carnegie Deli- I got a delicious cheeseburger, my mom got a reuben, and we split a piece of cheesecake.
Probably the best cheesecake I have EVER had. We got the chance to shop a little more afterwards, before heading back to the station and my dorm, before my mom had to leave to head back home. I'll miss her so much and am so lucky she is letting me experience and have so many wonderful opportunities. Once she left, I headed out to the gym which is about a 5 minute walk from me (next to Trader Joe's), grabbed some sushi, and headed back to my dorm.

My orientation and first day is tomorrow at MTV at 10 a.m. and I am so so excited! I'll be sure to fill you in on how it goes!! :)

Time to relax now!

No comments:

Post a Comment